5 Nov 2021
After over a decade of planning and work, our community was happy to see a vision come to life with the opening of the Shallotte Riverwalk the summer of 2021. It's a lovely boardwalk that winds along the Shallotte River for 1/4 of a mile, which allows locals and travelers to enjoy an up-close look at nature. Connecting to Mulberry Park off Main Street, informational plaques will help walkers learn more about the rich history, nature, and culture of Shallotte. The gazebos on each end of the boardwalk offer relaxing views and the Riverwalk is open from dawn to dusk.
Be ready to spot some wildlife during your walk along the boardwalk, including blue herons, eagles, spot, flounder, at least one alligator (the locals call him Shally), and more! (Please do not feed the wildlife.)
Future plans include more businesses in the Riverwalk area, along with water access for kayaks, canoes, boats, and fishing.
What you need to know:
- The Riverwalk is located at the end of Cheers Street at 140 Cheers Street.
- It's handicap accessible.
- Several gravel lots are availble on site, including handicap parking.
- It's open to the public.
- Dogs must be on a leash at all times.
- No smoking is allowed under the gazebos.
- Fishing is allowed at this time, but please do not cut on the wood or fish under the gazebos.
- It's open daily dawn to dusk.