6 Aug 2020
What does a post Hurricane Isaias world realistically look like?
There are so many moving parts to coordinating repairs after a storm. We are still cleaning up behind Isaias so here is what guests will find when as you arrive the next few weeks:
- Power and sewer services are working across the island.
- About half of our rental homes are without internet/cable. Our utility providers are streched over 4 islands, but rest assured they are working as hard as they can to restore services.
- Pools and hot tubs are full of sand and need multuple cleanings; just know the vendors are on it, working through their list as fast as they can.
- You may find wet carpet, wet walls under windows and wet ceiling patches from normal wind driven rain and shingle leaks. Just FYI, while it will dry out and go away, wet carpet glue smells pretty bad.
- Based on the rainfall we experience, the exterior siding may still be drying out. The moisture and humidity seeps gets into the upholstery, carpet, and walls and, although we have cleaned the home, post storm homes may smell musty. You need to be aware that this is a possibility, especially if you have allergies.
- Another issue that affects folks with allergies is all the dust and sand that is stirred up outside as well as inside the homes. While we clean the homes after a storm, these fine particles continue to float in the air, travel through the A/C vents and duct work, and rush in as the doors are opened. It can take several cleaning visits to handle.
- Missing siding and shingles that may not be repaired before your arrival.
- We had extensive flooding throughout the island and this means sand and debris are under the houses. Lawn service vendors are working overtime, but ground level areas and yards may not be in pristine condition when you arrive Saturday.
- The town is hard at working cleaning up the debris that washed up on the shoreline and we are urging caution when walking on the beach.
- Please be aware that The State of North Carolina has issued a swimming advisory.
Please feel to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have, we are here for you rain or shine!