1 Aug 2020
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we prepare for Hurricane Isaias. We have put together a list of FAQs that we hope you will find helpful.
- Where can I find information on what is happening at Hobbs Realty/Holden Beach?
You will find the most up-to-date info in the HobbsVisory info box on the homepage of our website.
- After the storm passes, when can I come and check-in?
After the storm has passed and it is safe for the HB Town inspectors to assess the island, the post storm work begins! When the HB Town inspectors give the “all-clear”, the mayor will reopen the island and allow us to begin Hobbs property inspections. We will notify you on the HobbsVisory and by email as soon as the island is open to vacationers.
- Am I eligible for an evacuation refund for missed vacation days?
Please review the evacuation refund eligibility information.
- Can I purchase travel insurance now?
As your scheduled arrival date has past, travel insurance is no longer available for purchase.
- Why did Hobbs Realty make exceptions for COVID closing and not for a Hurricane closing?
Great question! COVID19 was a totally unexpected pandemic that was not covered with the purchase of travel insurance. Hobbs Realty made temporary exceptions to our cancellation policy for this unprecedented global event.
Mandatory hurricane evacuations are common occurrences for travelers coming to our barrier island destination and are covered events with the purchase of travel insurance. The Atlantic hurricane season is widely covered in the media and is known to last from June-November.
- What does a post-storm world realistically look like?
There are so many moving parts to coordinating repairs after a storm. Based on the intensity of Isaias, upon your arrival you may find:
- The Island could be without cable and internet. It’s a 50/50 chance these services will be working as soon as the island reopens. Rest assured if this is the case, the providers will be working as hard as they can to restore services.
- All pools and hot tubs will need cleaning, just know the vendors are on it, working through their list as fast as they can.
- Wet carpet and wet ceiling patches from normal window and shingle leaks to more extensive roof issues. Just FYI, while it will dry out and go away, wet carpet glue smells pretty bad.
- Based on the rainfall we experience, the exterior siding may still be drying out. The moisture and humidity seep into the upholstery, carpet, and walls and, although we have cleaned the home, post storm homes may smell musty. You need to be aware that this is a possibility, especially if you have allergies.
- Missing siding and shingles that will not be repaired before your arrival. Sand and debris under the houses, lawn service vendors will handle this clean-up.
- What does the beach strand look like? Is it safe to swim?
- The Town is hard at working cleaning up the debris that washed up on the shoreline and we are urging caution when walking on the beach. Please be aware the the State of North Carolina has issued a swiming advisory.
Please feel to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have, we are here for you rain or shine!
Your #Hobbspitality Vacation Team